Monday, August 15, 2011

Walking the Golden Gate Bridge


Today I've been thinking about the time my friend Jeannette and I took a day trip to San Francisco and walked across the 1.7-mile long Golden Gate Bridge. Here's a shot of the bridge from the Marin County/Sausalito side.


A close-up look at the walkway on the bridge.



Designed by Irving Morrow, he is also credited with choosing the bridge's trademark bright orange, a color now known as International Orange. I love the bridge's Art Deco style. At 746 feet above the ocean, it's difficult to imagine just how large this bridge is without actually seeing it.  Walking across it is an exhilarating experience!


After our walk across the bridge, Jeannette and I headed to Stinson Beach, which is reached via the winding, steep, narrow Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway.)  In some areas, the mountains hug one side of the roadway, as cliffs drop off on the other side into the Pacific Ocean.

The road to Stinson Beach


Stinson Beach is a tiny village approximately 20 miles north of San Francisco. It's fairly secluded and has 3.5 miles of beach for walking, kite flying, sunning, and beachcombing. I found a huge piece of gnarled, weathered-grey driftwood that I fell in love with - so, of course, we dragged it back to her truck, laughing and giggling all the way!  I displayed the driftwood in my home for years - until I moved to Ohio and couldn't figure out a way to ship it!  Fun memories!

  The village of Stinson Beach



Happy 75th Anniversary Golden Gate Bridge, on May 27, 2012! Thanks for the memories!




Until next time,
Cindy 

All photos courtesy Google Images


3 comments:

Brenda said...

I remember swimming in that freezing water as a child. Now I just like to walk in the wet sand at the water's edge.

Cindy Adkins said...

Wow, what a fabulous trip you took!!! So beautiful!! I mailed your bracelet from the post office yesterday so it should be there soon!!

XO

Cindy Adkins said...

@Brenda, I can imagine how freezing cold that water was! I'd rather just look and walk on the beach, too!
@Cindy, it was a very fun trip! I can't wait to receive the bracelet!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...