Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Art of Sophie Anderson ~

I recently discovered the art of Sophie Anderson (1823-1903) while doing research online about another artist. I can't believe I'd never heard of her before, or saw any of her paintings, but I love her work! What's even more amazing is that she was largely a self-taught artist, except for a brief period when she studied portraiture with Charles de Steuben in Paris in 1843. Here are a few of my favorite paintings by her. I hope you'll enjoy them, also!

The Time of Lilacs

 Far Away Thoughts

Love in a Mist
Sophia Gengembre Anderson was born in Paris, but her family left France for the United States in 1848 to escape the Revolution. They first settled in Cincinnati, Ohio, then moved to Manchester, Pennsylvania. Later, Sophie married British artist, Walter Anderson. They lived in New York and London, but eventually retired to Falmouth, Cornwall, England, where Sophie died in 1903. Her husband passed away the same year.

The Turtle Dove

Reading Time

Picking Honeysuckle 

Opportune Moment
Until next time, enjoy!



9 comments:

Antiques And Teacups said...

What a talented painter. I have seen her images but did not know the name. She really captured the Victorian sensibility for beauty, children and animals. Thanks for the visit and thanks for sharing!
Ruth

Carla Sarett said...

Very touching and nostalgic images. Lovely thanks, Carla

Cindy Adkins said...

Thank you, Ruth and Carla. I agree with your comments - very talented artist and touching images. So happy you enjoyed seeing them.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Cindy - I've never heard of her, either - but so lovely! Had to pin that lilac one at the top on my board - a favorite flower and such a lovely girl - whimsical and romantic. Thanks for sharing - I'll look out for her name . . .
Joy!
Kathy

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh she is amazing, no doubt! I love her work and I have used the little girl with the dove in several of my collages...she's precious, isn't she?

Thanks SO much for putting the seminar on Facebook--I hope people will join in the fun!

XO
Cindy

Cindy Adkins said...

Wasn't that page ranking awesome? I loved when I found that!

Brenda said...

I had never heard of her either, Cindy. I love to paint portraits and need to get back to it. Your blog is so beautiful. You put me to shame.

My Little Home and Garden said...

Hello, Cindy
These are such romantic images. It makes me wonder what each person is thinking -or dreaming, in the last case!
Thank you so much for visiting and lingering in my blog. I really do appreciate that you took the time to do so. I'm going to peek around yours now!
-Karen

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Cindy,
I popped over to say Happy Pink Saturday!!!

XO
Cindy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...