Monday, September 5, 2011

Lake Erie and Marblehead Lighthouse

I usually always make at least one trip to Lake Erie each summer, which is only about a 40-minute drive from where I live. I can't believe summer is almost over and I haven't been there yet this year! So, these photos are from last year. Marblehead Lighthouse is the oldest, continuously operating lighthouse in the United States, built in 1822. It sits at the tip of Marblehead Peninsula and is now part of a 9-acre state park. There is a small museum inside the keeper's house, and picnic tables on the grounds offer views of the lake, Sandusky Bay, Kellys Island and South Bass Island (also known as Put-in-Bay.) Several ferries offer transportation to the islands, including a high-speed catamaran that departs from the small town of Port Clinton.




Old-fashioned Hollyhocks that grow along the picket fence that surrounds the lightkeeper's house.



And I must share this photo I took of a portion of an old, "shabby chic-look" iron fence that surrounds a local restaurant in Port Clinton. The detail on it is incredible!


Map of Lake Erie - Port Clinton and Marblehead Peninsula are about halfway between Toledo and Cleveland, Ohio.

Have a great week, everyone!


4 comments:

Brenda said...

Beautiful pics. I had hollyhocks just like those in my yard this year. Did you ever visit the Fort Reyes lighthouse? Three-hundred steps lead down to it. Going down is easy, but coming back up is a killer.

Cindy Adkins said...

Brenda, thank you. I love hollyhocks - they're so old-fashioned looking! Yes, I went to Fort Reyes lighthouse once!! Whoa...those steps! Don't know if I could do it now...that was a long time ago! lol Gorgeous views, though.

Honey at 2805 said...

What a wonderful summer afternoon. Your photos are beautiful!

Cindy Adkins said...

Thank you so much, Honey! It's a beautiful place to visit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...