Thursday, May 24, 2012

Golden Gate Bridge 75th Anniversary

Hello Everyone,
May 27th marks the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge, so I'm reposting something that I wrote last August about some of my memories of this architectural wonder!

Today I've been thinking about the time my friend Jeannette and I took a day trip to San Francisco and walked across the 1.7-mile long Golden Gate Bridge. Here's a shot of the bridge from the Marin County/Sausalito side.


A close-up look at the walkway on the bridge.


Designed by Irving Morrow, he is also credited with choosing the bridge's trademark bright orange, a color now known as International Orange. I love the bridge's Art Deco style. At 746 feet above the ocean, it's difficult to describe just how large this bridge is without actually seeing it. Walking across it is an exhilarating experience!


After our walk across the bridge, Jeannette and I headed to Stinson Beach, which is reached via the winding, steep, narrow Highway 1 (Pacific Coast Highway.) In some areas, the mountains hug one side of the roadway, as cliffs drop off on the other side into the Pacific Ocean.

The road to Stinson Beach


Stinson Beach is a tiny village approximately 20 miles north of San Francisco. It's fairly secluded and has 3.5 miles of beach for walking, kite flying, sunning, and beachcombing. I found a huge piece of gnarled, weathered-grey driftwood that I fell in love with - so, of course, we dragged it back to her truck, laughing all the way! I displayed the driftwood in my home for years - until I moved to Ohio and couldn't figure out a way to ship it! Fun memories!

The village of Stinson Beach



Happy 75th Anniversary Golden Gate Bridge, on May 27, 2012! Thanks for the memories!



Until next time,
Cindy

Linking this to Seasonal Sundays on The Tablescaper


All photos courtesy Google Images

14 comments:

Blessed Serendipity said...

I have been to San Francisco a couple of times. The bridge is a beautiful bridge. I didn't know you could walk across it. I bet you had a great time there.

xo,
Danielle

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeee that bridge and I had NO idea it has the same birthday as my Mama!!!!

Connie said...

I've never been there, but I enjoyed this post. That is quite an amazing bridge. Must have been something to see it.

Cottage and Broome said...

I love there first photo it looks like it should be a postcard! Have a wonderful week, Laura

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

I have only seen it in person once, when we drove across it and I cannot BELIEVE you hiked all the way across it like that.

You are just so cool.

This is a neat post. I had not idea how old that bridge was.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Thanks for the info and pictures of the bridge. I don't think I would have been able to walk across it. I don't do well with long, high bridges. It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Sandy said...

Hi Cindy, I love that bridge and walked across it a couple of times! You're right it was an exhilirating experience that I will never forget. The beach town looks charming. Love the photos. Hard to believe that this bridge is 75 years old. Great post.

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow Cindy, what an experience! Does the bridge sway at all? I would love to walk across it! It looks like you had a beautiful trip! Thanks for sharing this post again ;o) Truly enjoyed it! Have a great weekend ;o)

Christine said...

wow, 75 years!

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Love your flower photos (I'm obsessed with and love to paint them!)and your bridge post!

Happy Pink Saturday!

Ivy and Elephants said...

What a gorgeous post! Thanks for reminding us of what beautiful treasures we have right here in the good old USA. Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Patti

Cindy Adkins said...

WOW, what a gorgeous post, Cindy!!! I hope you're having a good weekend!!!
XO
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Cindy, you brought back so many memories of when my husband and I visited San Fran back in 1987. Golden is gorgeous and the name suits it perfectly.
Thank you for stopping by the "shop." Glad you liked the Audrey tags. ;)
Much love,
Marcia

The Tablescaper said...

What an amazing bridge. So neat to learn of the birthday. Wonderful to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...